Tuesday, June 10, 2008

*A: The Star Alliance Game

I recently cashed in 160k United Mileage Plus miles for a summer trip to Europe. This information is generally out there, most notably via a View From the Wing , but I thought I would share a few lessons learned:

1. As always it is best to start all Star Alliance searches using the global search tool at ANA.

2. UAL's starnet blocks most of the Lufthansa flights even though they would be available if you were dealing with Lufthansa directly. This really hurts as United's transatlantic options are not great and one of the real powerhouses of the Star Alliance is Lufthansa, both for its schedule and onboard service. Flyertalk suggests this Lufthansa embargo lasts for about 3 months prior to departure up to a week or two before travel.

3. Also generally known: Most of the United agents have no idea how to book award travel. They don't understand the routings so you need to know what you are talking about before you call. Also on multiple occasions agents missed available flights. When I asked them to recheck by flight number they were able to locate them.

4. You are able to hold award travel. Many agents told me I couldn't do this. But, I eventually found one that let me.

5. Always be sure to check Business Saver awards before you go with Economy Premium awards.

No comments: